No More Empty Fortune Cookies!

Monday, March 2, 2009

We're Eating Dog Food!

I want to not care. Really, I do. But try as I might, I just can't get past the fact that we're eating dog food.
No, no. It's not Kibbles -N- Bits or Purina or even Alpo. Nothing quite as sinister as it sounds, its just that well, since the Wifester and I have been trying to diet again, we've found ourselves eating things like brown rice mixed with veggies and ground turkey...amazingly, that's basically the exact same recipe for the Sunny-dog's new organic home made food that I've been fixing for her. Of course, she doesn't get any onion or salt...you know certain things that have to be omitted for proper puppy health and all, but for all intents and purposes, we're eating the same thing. In fact, it's so similar that when I cooked for us, she stood right beside me tail wagging, hoping and prancing, nose wafting around in the air. She just KNEW I was cooking up a special treat for her. It was heartbreaking to see the look on her face when we ate it...
Honestly, it's pretty good grub. I could do without the meat, and just have it be the rice and veggies, but my Wifester, she's a meat and potatoes gal...she's gotta have some kind of protien that was once living, breathing, and walking. Swimming just won't cut it for her.
Occasionally, I can trick her with tofu, like say, with my Tofu Chicken Patties. That's her favorite. Or with the Tofu Tacos, ole! But she will only go for the tofu substitute every so often, then its back to carcasses on her plate.
Last night, I tried to scoot one past her that had neither tofu nor a once living breathing creature of any kind.
It didn't go over so well. I believe her exact words were "This is AWFUL"
I suppose tonight we're back to "dog food." I won't complain too much, like I said, that grub is pretty good, but if I start to grow a tail...

10 cookies cracked:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

wagwagwag

Karen said...

I am dieting too. 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast. A Lite and Fit yogurt at 11. Salad and chicken with vinegar for lunch. A piece of fruit in the afternoon. Then fish or chicken, veggies and a half of baked potato with salsa for dinner.

SO BORING. But it is only a 10 week cleansing. And I am trying hard to make it.

Of course, I cheated at the wedding - cocktail hour rocked!

fiwa said...

You know - I feed my dog that occasionally when her tummy is upset, and what I have caught myself thinking is, I can't taste that - it's DOG FOOD. It's just bland chicken and rice but as soon as I've designated it to be for the dog - it's suddenly off limits. Isn't that funny? Good luck with your diet. :)

Jay said...

The economy is soooo bad that you guys are eating dog food. hehe ;-)

Real Live Lesbian said...

Trace wants to come to YOUR house for dinner! Lucky Sunny-girl!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

OMG! Noooow I know who you are! Your one of my bloggies peeps. Well, many of my blog peeps peeps!

And, to think, we found each other on twitter! Your posts are too funny!

I'm going to have to keep up with you for an extra giggle in what is becoming a serious blog roll of blog building and PR for Root & Sprout! :-)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh, and that meal sounded absolutely Fab-Tastic to me! *drool*

Anonymous said...

Sucks, doesn't it? Dieting, that is... if someone else did the cooking, I'd be happy to eat good healthy food like that every night! I just get bored COOKING it and then hearing the complaints from the peanut gallery (not my husband, just the kids). I guess the good news is that you are feeding your dog such wonderful healthy food!

Try this tofu recipe on her:
2 eggs
1/2 c. soft tofu
1-2 tsp. soy sauce

Mix well and fry up as little fritters in a non-stick pan (you might need a touch of oil)
They really are delicious and satisfying! My kids who don't like tofu will eat these "tofu fritters."

PS: Miss you at WWC - take some pictures!!

Tink said...

Well that's putting yourself in the dog's shoes, er paws. Whatever. ;)

Here's to hoping the dog chow diet works!

Bev Sykes said...

The first day I was visiting my friend in Australia, she was making "dog soup," which she makes once a week for her dogs, and freezes in feeding portions.

A week later, she (who is not really a cook) was trying to decide what to cook for dinner and pulled out a portion of dog soup and fed it to me. It was quite tasty, though I never let her forget the she fed me dog soup.