No More Empty Fortune Cookies!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

In which I cultivate my culinary prowess

"Cookies! I want COOKIES!"
That's how I was greeted when the Wifester arrived from work on Monday...
apparently she's having sympathetic cravings for her sister-in-law.

You may remember my last post about my attempts at baking...
Since then, I've found some variations of oatmeal cookies that I am quite comfortable with and have found to be particularly satisfying.

I had some apples that I wanted to use up, so this time I made Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies! I've never had them before, but you can bet your sweet cookie I'll be having them again!
Here's how I made them:

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies


  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup diced and peeled apples (your choice, I used red delicious)

(you may want to add nutmeg, and walnuts or pecans I don't, for The Wifester's safety)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture until well blended. Fold in the oats and apples. (if adding nuts, do so when folding in the oats and apples) Drop dough by spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. * I've found that using an ice cream scoop is perfect! * Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.


While the oven was still hot, and it was time to begin dinner...I thought hmmmm...I really am tired of the "dog food" we've eaten so often lately. What to make for dinner that does not resemble the Sunny-dog's meal, does not contain meat, and is sure to please the finicky Wifester? As I've told you before, I could really do without meat all together, but the Wifester, she loves her meat and potatoes.
I came up with an ultra satisfying compromise. Oh she questioned it when I told her what I was making. But upon first bite, she was sold. Never question my culinary genius, I told her. Never. She even asked for more tonight!
This experiment was a tofu-veggie loaf. Or as I named it for her sake, meatless meatloaf.
The Wifester luvs some meatloaf. We usually make it with ground turkey, but even that is just too much meat for me to sink my teeth into at one time. If I make meatloaf for her, I usually have something else for myself. And I was just not up to making two meals last night. After all, I had played Cindarella all day long, scrubbing baseboards, washing walls, cleaning carpets, and organizing the house. Plus I did accomplish some heavy duty studying and baked cookies...A one dish dinner it would be, no doubt.
Meatless meatloaf was surprisingly delish and relatively easy. It smelled wonderful and baked up beautifully.
I know a few of you who will be wanting this recipe...

Meatless Meatloaf

  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 pound firm tofu (for a small loaf, feeds two to four people)
  • 1 -2 cup dried bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
  • 1/1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten (optional)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • green beans
  • peas
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium low heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic and parsley and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Meanwhile firmly press tofu between layers of paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. While tofu is pressing, cook brown rice until tender, but still somewhat firm. Add peas, carrots, green beans, and onins. Crumble tofu into the bowl of a food processor, then add bread crumbs, flour, egg, ketchup, tamari and Worcestershire sauce and blend until completely smooth. Transfer tofu mixture to a bowl, then stir in the rice mixture. Add bread crumbs or flour to make loaf more firm if necessary. Add any additional seasonings that you desire. *optional add mushrooms or any veggie of your choice to the mixture. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, then spoon the tofu mixture into the loaf pan, patting it down evenly over the top.

Sprinkle top with Rosemary and Oregano. (Optional topping 1/4 cup ketsup, 2 tbsp Rosemary, 2 tbsp orgeano, 2 tbsp garlic, 1tsp soy sauce, mix well, brush over top of loaf with pastry brush) Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until deep golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool the loaf for easier slicing before serving.

3 cookies cracked:

Anonymous said...

Gonna have to try these!

Tink said...

Mmmm. You just made me hungry for cookies and meatloaf and it's only 10:24 in the morning! :)

Real Live Lesbian said...

Yum, pass the milk! You are turning in to quite the WIFEster yourself! :)