No More Empty Fortune Cookies!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Veggie Burgers a la Fortune Cookie


Extra Firm Tofu
Whole wheat flour
Ground cumin
Salt
Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Garlic
Soy Sauce
Oregano
Parsley


drain excess water from tofu, leaving it very moist. combine all ingredients in a large bowl, adding flour and mashing until you have a nice, firm doughy ball. Use spices ad-lib. Season to taste. Cover and set in fridge for at least 1 hour. When ready to cook, form patties from the ball just as you would to make burgers. you can run your hands under water first to prevent the tofu from sticking to your hands and make it easier to work with. brush the patties with soy sauce and sprinkle some seasonings of your choice on the tops.

Grill or cook in skillet as you would hamburger. Be sure to use no-stick spray or olive oil. Cook until firm to the touch.

Even the carnivorous, picky, persnickety Wifester proclaimed "MMMMM! Good burgers, honey!"

4 cookies cracked:

Jessica said...

OMG! That looks so good! I was hungry, but now I am SO freakin' hungry! I am trying that very soon, if not tonight!

Jay said...

I bought some veggie burgers once. They sat in my freezer for like 6 months before I just tossed them. LOL ;-)

Karen said...

Are you a vegetarian?

I know you cook a lot of tofu, but I didn't think that you were.

I would love to try some meat alternatives. I get sick of chicken.

Fortune Cookies said...

Jessica- let me know how you like em when you do try em!

Jay- Tomorrow's recipe is with you in mind meaning - packed full of meat, oh, yeah! ;)

Karen - I was a vegetarian years ago, for many years, but not now. I prefer vegetarian meals, but will eat some meats as well. Although, I keep saying how much better I feel and how much healthier I feel when I forgo meats altogether...hmmmm