No More Empty Fortune Cookies!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Opossums vs. Chipmunks

Do black bears get pissed off at deer and wage all out war to secure their territory? Do the opossums think the chipmunks are infidels? Do the bats and the woodpeckers have different gods with different philosophies? Have any of the frogs ever revolted against the snakes en masse?
I don't know when war is ever the appropriate answer.
I don't know when it is okay to intervene and when we should mind our own business.
I don't know why it is that we must do something now, but didn't do anything when 500,000 + people were massacred in Rwanda for no other reason than belonging to the "wrong" ethnic group. No one is striking missiles against Joseph Kony. No one batted an eye when The Rohingya were forced out of their homeland, denied citizenship status and were persecuted and dehumanized. So what makes this situation any different?
I don't know. I don't get why people can't just get along. I don't know why we teach children that fighting is wrong, and to talk out their differences, but then as adults we hand them guns and send them off to war.
I don't know. I don't understand and I don't think I ever will.

0 cookies cracked: